Saturday, December 7, 2013

Thick-billed Raven (Corvus crassirostris)

The Thick-billed Raven (Corvus crassirostris) is the largest bird of the corvids and with his large bill he looks bigger than our Common Raven. He is endemic to the Ethiopian Mountains and surrounding areas. I had the luck to see this birds in the Bale Mountains in Southern Ethiopia where they still occur frequently.

Thick-billed Raven Ethiopia

Corvus crassirostris

Raven Ethiopia


For a giant, he sounds rather small:


Linked with Camera CrittersViewing nature with Eileen and Id-rather-b-birdin.

13 comments:

  1. That is so different from the ones I get to see here. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful bird. The bill looks impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that bill, cool looking Raven! Great shots. Thank you for linking up to my 1st Saturday's Critters. I hope to see you there again. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my....if I spotted something like this, I think I had died and gone to heaven...what a glorious bird. And your commentary was superb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a strange bird. And the sound was like it had a cold. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And is he intelligent like his cousins I wonder.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, lucky you to be in Ethiopia to spot this wonderful bird.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Raven is much bigger than the ones we have here. Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!
    A very impressive looking raven!
    We have nothing like this in Europe!
    I am sure Ethiopia and all this part of the world has still much to offer regarding fauna that has not yet been put forward, mainly because of the unrests...
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "My, Grandma, what a big nose you have." I never saw one of these before! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness, that bill!!!! He is aptly named for sure. Great photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice pictures! I love that bird! Very rare!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment and the visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...